Sunday, April 21, 2013

Denim Foldover Clutch Purse Tutorial

Hi Lovelies ^_^, it's me again sharing new tutorial.

I always been afraid of sewing a zipper, therefore my bags, totes, clutches seldom use any zippers. Normally i will use tiny strings or magnetic snaps for closure. But, i had conquer my fear (YES!!!). Last week, i spent my weekends to practiced sewing a zipper into a small foldover purse. I used scrap fabrics from previous projects, sewed the zipper using a zippered foot that came from my sewing machine, add in beautiful lace, pinned it with my fabric rosette brooch and done. I like the end result of the purse. However the sewing result....Hmm, i need to practice more ^_^.

For this projects, you will need:

  • 8 inch normal zipper - Mine in hot pink.
  • 2 pcs 20cm X 32cm fabric - I used the scrap denim material from previous projects.
  • 20cm Lace or ribbon - Any colors of your choice.
  • A zippered tooth - your sewing machine should came with this type of foot, if not check with your local dealer or you can purchase a universal zippered foot.
  • Scissor, matching/contrasting thread, ruler.
  • Pretty embellishment of your choice - i'm loyal with my fabric rosette brooch.
  • 30 minutes to 1 hour of your weekend time.
Oh by the way, this project was my last time using Bother BM-2600. Yup, i'm changing new sewing machine. After 3 years sewed with Brother, i felt like it did not give me much results that i needed. I need to sewed many layers of fabrics in one passage, but sadly my Brother did not deliver good results. Sadly, it is her time to retire. 

Gather the materials. Sorry for the low quality of pictures (I'm using my smartphone and use only natural afternoon sunlight). The denim color is dark blue. My friends thought it was black and even brown.

Place the zipper upside down to wrong side of the fabric and pin. You see at two end of the zipper, there are extra length of 1cm each side, this is for seam allowance. Take your time to sew slowly using a zippered foot. After finish at 1 side, you will do the same for the other side.

This is my zipper teeth that come with my sewing machine. As you can see, there is 2 small rectangles, left and right. When you sew at right side of the fabric you attach the left bar to your presser feet. You will do in reverse when you sew the left side of the fabric.

Open the seams. You can iron to make it nice and flat.

Now again using the zipper foot you will have to sew both right side of the fabric. You can use matching thread or contrasting thread to create different look. I finish the right side and turn to left side. I'm switching the zipper foot from left bar to right bar in order to sew the left side of the fabric. The edge of the foot will help you locating where is the zipper teeth and also preventing you from getting too close to the zipper teeth.

I learn this method while i was sewing. You can not sewing with zipper head in front of zipper foot. The head will create uneven straight line. This is how you have to do:

Bring your needle down to fabric. Lift up the presser foot.

Pull the zipper head away from the zipper foot to the area which you had sewn earlier. You do not want to sew around the zipper head. After that you can continue to sew.

This is how it looks. I'm using navy blue thread. Not too bad for first timer ya (Hehe shy mode on).

 Before sewing the lace, i like to position it to see how it will look after finish. I place it 3cm above the zipper.

Sew upper and below lace to fabric. I use the edge of my foot as guidance.

Turn the fabric, right side facing each other. Pin the 3 sides. Open the zipper half way (Do not forget this step, otherwise you may not able to turn the fabric inside out). Sew the 3 sides.

 Trim the excess fabrics, specially at the 2 corners. I did not use lining for this projects, cause my intention is to practice sewing a zipper.

Turn the fabric inside out through the open zipper. Poke the 2 corners using your finger. You can press with iron.

You are now finish.

 Closer look.

 I embellish with my fabric rosette brooch.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and read my tutorial. It has been fun to share my knowledge with all of you. Please, if you have any comments, leave in the comment box below. I would like to hear from you. See you again in my next tutorial.

Let's Make Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment